The Georgia Veterinary Education Loan Repayment Program (GVELRP) provides financial relief, by way of student loan repayment, for veterinarians willing to provide veterinary services for food animals in shortage areas around the state. This program is administered by the State Veterinary Education Board with assistance from the Georgia Student Finance Authority (GSFA). The Board also receives administrative support from the Georgia Department of Agriculture.
The application period for 2024 will be open from Aug 1, 2023, through Sept 30, 2023.
For complete details about the Georgia Veterinary Education Loan Repayment Program please see the overview document below.
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States or have a lawful presence in the country.
- Reside in Georgia.
- Be either a practicing veterinarian or a veterinary student in your final year of study.
You will only be considered for an award if you practice or intend to practice in Board-approved rural counties with populations of 35,000 or less. See the map below for the list of eligible counties. Prior services in these areas do not factor into the contract.
- Download the Application and Reference forms below.
- Complete and sign the Application
- Have three (3) reference forms completed and signed. At least one of these must be from a DVM/VMD and at least one from a current or former employee. (If you have no employment history, include a reference from a professor directly involved in the completion of your veterinary degree program.)
- Email the application and all reference forms together to email@example.com
- GVELRP Program Overview
- Eligible Communities Map 2020 Census
- GVELRP Application 2024
- GVELRP Recommendation Form 2024